Friday, November 12, 2010

TGIF

Yesterday, we all went to bed as soon as Rich got home.  Literally, we all climbed in our king size bed and all went to sleep.  We woke up at 9, ate a bowl of cereal and went back to bed.  We all 3 didn't feel great, and it felt amazing to just catch up on some sleep.  I obviously didn't get to the blog yesterday so I'll just combine the two days.  I am thankful for:
  • Fridays.  They are all around amazing.  I remember Fridays being awesome as a little girl also.  We would always order Little Caesars pizza (two square ones) with crazy bread.  My mom would usually either clean the house while we watched "TGIF" or we would have family movie night.  Now I look forward to getting to wear jeans on Fridays to work, playing with Reese and taking a nap with him around 3:30 , ordering pizza and watching a movie or watching KY play basketball.  My Friday routine was a little different today.  I had to take Reese to the pediatrician and didn't leave until 6:10.  I got home at 6:40, dropped Reese off with Rich and drove to our Church to go to the Women's Holiday extravaganza.  I debated on going all day because I didn't want to have to leave the boys, but I'm SO glad I went.  The older ladies in our Church were adorable and so proud of all of their holiday traditions that they do with their families.  I got so many amazing ideas and laughed so hard my stomach hurt. 
  • My family life growing up.  I have probably already put this on a thankfulness blog, but it deserves to be on there more than once.  I grew up with a picture perfect homelife.  I literally never saw my parents even have ONE argument... ever.  Infact, when Rich and I had one of our first arguments I almost broke up with him because I did not know it was normal for couples to have disagreements.  Both of my parents worked their butts off to ensure that my brother and I got to go to college and literally did everything they could to give us the best life they could.  My mom always kept our home clean, laundry done, worked, and almost always had a home-cooked meal for us.  We would all 4 sit at our kitchen table for hours and eat dinner and tell stories about our days.  We were never allowed to watch TV during dinner time.  My Dad always took time to play with us outside and play catch or basketball, and my mom spent her summers taking us to Opryland.  We had season passes and would go all the time.  My parents were always supportive.  I don't think that my mom missed ONE of my brother's high schools football games, and my Dad would only miss if he were working.  If he was not working, we got there an hour before the game started so my Dad could even watch my brother warm up.  He would even take him a candy bar during half time so he could have something special before the second half of the game.  When I cheered, my Dad would sit with all of the moms (because most Dads didn't go to just see their daughters cheer), and would watch me.  I knew he did not want to have to watch a bunch of girls cheer, but it meant so much to me to see him in the stands.  My parents always allowed us to have our friends over and always welcomed them as part of the family.  They were incredible Christian examples for us, and Church was a huge priority in our lives.  As long as we were under their roof, we were not allowed to miss Church, even when we would come home on college breaks.  There were times that I had no desire to be at Church, but looking back it was one of the best things my parents could have done for me.  I learned how God speaks to me in the back row of the Church, with my arms crossed, and a snarl on my face.  I remember the service distinctively.  Pastor John was out of town, and Pastor Glenda was preaching for him that night.  I remember her talking about the gentle voice that God would speak to us with and how to listen to it.  I can't remember what event I was missing out on with my friends, but looking back there isn't an event that would have been worth me missing that sermon. I thank God that my parents had no desire to be my friend or the "cool parents."  They stood their ground and MADE me go sometimes.  My mom also taught me how to have class.  I was not allowed to wear trashy clothes (I may have changed in the car during my last few years of high school), but she taught me that I didn't have to show a lot of skin to be pretty.  I always had a white and black cardigan.  Oh, and one other thing that helped that they did.  My brother and I were not allowed to have a TV in our bedroom.  We would find shows or a movie we could all enjoy instead of us all going to seperate bedrooms and not spending time together.  I think (especially for teenage boys) you are asking for trouble when you put a TV in a bedroom.  I realize how lucky I am to have had a great marriage that was modeled for me growing up.  I adore my parents and brother and cherish all the memories we share.  I can't wait to pass on traditions as we grow our family. 
I'll stop there since it is one of those long-winded type of nights.

No comments: